Friday, October 30, 2009

The Dust Bowl Tragedy

The Dust Bowl: Midwest under sand
Happened during the mid 1930’s
Everyone in peril, what to do now?

Damaged done to thousands of homes
Unusual to most citizens
Sky covered in dust, now we can’t see the sun
Terror spreads throughout the region

Brought chaos to the nation
Only hope can save us now
We can now only hope to make it trough the disaster
Looking for homes… we wait

Time to head in a different direction
Rewind time so that we can prepare
Agony shakes the Midwest
Great things start to happen though
Everyone thinks about moving west
Decision is made and we head west
Yes, we survived

1 comment:

  1. I really like your poem. In my opinion you have been very descriptive and emotional. I like the balance that you have created between informing about the event and then reflecting on it. While reading your literature piece I can really picture in my mind the disaster that happened in 1930s in the States. I liked the sense of hope that you create in your poem. Also I think the idea to write in “we” form is really good because in that way you show that the disaster had impact over a lot of people and that they were united in order to survive. As I read the poem I also feel the feeling of wonder whether to go, how to continue living, so I think you have done great job representing the actual thoughts and worries of the affected people. You have also done a great job using literary devices as rhetorical questions, metaphors, repetitions, etc. I would also like to give you a piece of advice: in order to keep the poem sounding well as you read it, you may shorten some of your lines so that they are equal to the line that follows as in the third stanza.

    Elena Mateva

    ReplyDelete